A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document that an employer in Canada may need to get before hiring a foreign worker.

A positive LMIA will show that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job. It will also show that no Canadian worker or permanent resident is available to do the job. A positive LMIA is sometimes called a confirmation letter.

If the employer needs an LMIA, they must apply for one.

Once an employer gets the LMIA, the worker can apply for a work permit.

To apply for a work permit, a worker needs

  • a job offer letter
  • a contract
  • a copy of the LMIA, and
  • the LMIA number

Who needs a Labour Market Impact Assessment?

Employers of some types of temporary workers need to get a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) before the worker applies for a work permit. An LMIA is a document from Employment and Social Development Canada that gives the employer permission to hire a temporary worker.

If you are an employer, find out if you need an LMIA.

If you are a worker, you can answer a few questions to find out:

  • the kind of work permit you can apply for, and
  • the steps your employer needs to take before you submit your work permit application.

Call or email Skylake Immigration to find out how we can assist with your LMIA approval process.